Did you know all containers are manufactured in China and shipped around the world on massive cargo ships? Shanghai, China is known to be the fastest growing economy in the world, handling an enormous 33 million containers in 2013!
The top 5 ranked container ports are all in Asia:
- Shanghai, China – currently handling 33 million containers
- Singapore – currently handling 31 million containers
- Hong Kong, China – currently handling 23 million containers
- Shenzhen, China – currently handling 22 million containers
- Busan, South Korea – currently handling 17 million containers
20ft equivalent containers a year, handles 42% of the container traffic in the UK, is one of the largest ports in Britain, and is yet to expand! Imagine! One of your future containers might be at the port right now!
There is a Trinity Terminal which is the largest container handling facility in the whole of Britain and is able to handle four million units! The goods that come in through The Port of Felixstowe are distributed throughout the UK quickly and efficiently. The Port of Felixstowe is extremely busy with goods going in and out of the country. There are about 30 shipping lines operating throughout the port, and vessels from all around the world visit it. What would any of us do without the amazing Port of Felixstowe? Just Amazing!
I hope this has answered a few of your questions, if not all of them!
Written by Priya Virdi at Lion Containers Ltd